Sunday 10 February 2013

Natalie Portman's Dior "ICONIC OVERCURL" look on a budget

Hey everyone! So today I was reading a copy of the magazine "Stella", over a cup of tea and a full-english breakfast, when I came across Christian Dior's latest advert for their new "Iconic" collection. The advert features one of my favourite actresses, Natalie Portman, and features a beautiful dramatic dark metallic blue eye paired with gorgeously long lashes and a swipe of subtle nude pink lipstick.

The whole page spread

The look- both these pictures belong to Stella magazine and Dior, I  do not own them

I was completely captivated by the look, it's so simple yet so alluring and enchanting, I was inspired to give the elegant look a go. However, being a student, one can not afford Dior make-up so I decided to recreate it "on a budget". The products I will be using for this look will all be from "drug store" brands- predominately MUA (one of my favourite brands EVER!- http://muacosmetics.blogspot.co.uk/) a.k.a Make Up Academy, as well as a few other brands (Rimmel, Collection, Avon etc) Enjoy!

Before I do anything I cleanse/moisturise/primer my face. The primer I've used is Nivea Daily Essentials Express Hydration Primer, I have then followed it up with the W7 (War-paint) Camera Ready Anti Dull Skin Balancing Primer.



As I'm going to be using a lot of eyeshadow in this look I'm going to do my foundation after, to prevent it being ruined by any loose eyeshadow pigment. On to the eyes then...first I prime my eyes, all the way up to the brow bone and on the lower lashes with my MUA Professorial Eye Primer.



Next I use Shade 1 from the MUA Undressed Palette (If the pan looks odd it's because the original palette broke so I de-potted it and created a custom palette which includes both Undressed and Heaven and Earth palette). I put this shade all over the lid up to the browbone, fanning out slightly. I've also used shade 1 from the Heaven on Earth palette (MUA also) to highlight my browbone.

Pretty, right? I had fun making it ^^ Let me know if you want me to tell you how I did it.
Terrible picture, I know

Next I've used Shade 12 (the blue) from the Undressed palette to cover my lid up to my brown bone, using a fluffy brush covered in Shade 1 to blend it out as well as in the outer corner of my eyelid, I've also used Shade 11 mixed with Shade 12 (the black and blue). in my crease. I've also used Shade 8 to fill in my brows and smudged it out. (It looks terrible in the picture- just bear with me ok? ^^)

It looks a bit blue xD Use a tissue or fluffy brush to swipe away any excess pigment.
I use the blue shade again with a thin brush to line my lower lash line.

Keep using Shade 1 for the H&E palette to smudge out the blue until you get the desired effect


Next I use my Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Shade 1 Black on my upper lash line, I create a slight flick in the outer corner and go right down to the inner corner while doing the lower inner corner also. I made it look a bit more dramatic than in the advert, personally I like my eyeliner dramatic ^^.




Next I've curled my lashes and applied several layers of my No7 Exceptional Definition mascara to my upper and lower lashes. I also used my Rimmel Scandal Eyes Kohl eyeliner in black to liner my upper waterline (under the upper lashes).



Now for the face! Woooooo!! For foundation I applied Max Factor Colour Adapt foundation in shade 40 Creamy Ivory and buffed it with an Avon all-face brush. I also conceal any blemishes and under the eyes with Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer. Followed by using Rimmel Stay Matte power.



Because the finish of this look is quite dewy I'm taking Technics High Lights Higlighter and blending it in above my cheek bones and up the side of my eyes. Then a bit of MUA's power blush in Shade 4 to my cheek bones and out to the side of my face.





Finally, for the lips I applied Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Shade 03 and topped with some 17 Mirror Shine Lipstick in Beehive. I also added some more Technic High Lights to my cupids bow and the outside corners of my mouth to make them look fuller.

Swatches that you can't really see :/

The finished look- yes, I only did one eye if you haven't yet noticed.
And that's it! Prepare for some SERIOUS posing ;D




I look so young!! xD I look around 12! Which I'm not

Before and after...the eyes



And Viola!!!! I'm really impressed with how this look turned out. It's a bit darker and more dramatic than the original but I quite like that about it ^^.


This look was really just a bit of fun and a chance to show you all what I can do (which isn't a lot but oh well xD). Now for the results-

The Dior Wet and Dry Backstage single Eyeshadows retail at £22.50 from Boots (http://www.boots.com/en/DIOR-WET-DRY-Backstage-Eyeshadow_1302083/)

The MUA Undressed and Heaven and Earth palettes I used retail at a mere £4 each from their website (http://www.muastore.co.uk/index.php/12-shade-undressed-palette)  and Superdrug.

The pen liner used in the advert is the Diorshow Intense Professional Felt-tip Long-Lasting Wear in Catwalk Black which retails at £23.00 (http://www.boots.com/en/DIORSHOW-INTENSE-Professional-Felt-tip-Eyeliner-Long-Lasting-Wear-in-Catwalk-Black_1302077/).

The Gel eyeliner I used (Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama in Black) is £7.99 (http://www.boots.com/en/Maybelline-Eye-Studio-Lasting-Drama-Gel-Liner_1190781/)

So overall some pretty good cheap alternatives if you'd rather not splash out on the Dior products (which I'm sure are absolutely amazing but very unaffordable for students like me).



I really hope you liked this, please leave me a comment if you would like me to do something else like this- any suggestions are always welcome!

Lots of Love, Laura xx

P.S. Let me know if you want reviews of any of the products mentioned ^^




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.